Trowbridge banner

The Canadian Expat is excited to announce that the Supreme Court of Canada has granted the Canadian Expat leave to intervene in the case before the court regarding the inability of Canadians living abroad for extended time to vote in federal elections.  This is a gigantic step as nearly half of applications to leave were rejected.  What this means is that the Canadian Expat will now formally be permitted to present information in support of the right to vote.

from the ruling:

The motions for leave to intervene by the Canadian American Bar Association; the Canadian Expat Association; the David Asper Center for Constitutional Rights; the Canadian Civil Liberties Association; the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association and the MetroToronto Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic are granted and the said six (6) interveners ~hall entitled to each serve and file a factum not to exceed ten (10) pages in length on or before December 9, 2016.

At the Canadian Expat, we believe every Canadian citizen, regardless of whether they live in Canada or not, has the right to take part in the democratic process.

To that end we are working with the law firm Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP (Calgary).   By granting us the status of Intervenor, the Supreme Court of Canada will use information that we provide to decide if the eventual outcome may affect the rights of non-parties (such as The Canadian Expat and its membership) who ideally should have the right to be heard.

It is important to note that achieving success with this case will impact how the Supreme Court of Canada views the rights of Canadian Expats and the significance of their involvement and contributions to Canada. There will be direct implications on our other advocacy efforts, particularly on our appeal for the Canadian government to recognize children born abroad to Canadian Expat parents. The importance of this case cannot be overstated.

We will keep you posted as we work through the process.

For further information regarding our positions please visit:.

Voting for Canadian Expats

Canadian Children Born Abroad to Canadian Parents

You can assist by donating:



Corporate Members